Here at Children’s House we are proud to provide our families with an authentic Montessori program by following “best practice” guidelines as advocated by the American Montessori Society (AMS), of which we are a Full Member School.
“Best practices” require schools to constantly review their philosophies and procedures, and to make changes when necessary to meet the standards put forth in the AMS affiliation and accreditation guidelines. During the 2005–2006 school year, Children’s House completed the affiliation process. All facets of our program were reviewed, including financial, administrative, and classroom practices.
Guidelines for parent and staff handbooks are provided by AMS, and are reflected in our own Parent Handbook and website. Some of the “best practices” that we incorporate in our classrooms are:
- multi-aged, heterogeneous groupings
- the Great Period – 2½ to 3 hours of uninterrupted work time
- five days a week for early childhood programs
- gradual transition from concrete to abstract concepts
- emphasis on Grace and Courtesy lessons
- opportunities for concentration is a priority
We continually strive to improve our environment by scheduling training sessions, attending conferences, and planning staff meetings so all the staff can come together to share and learn from each other’s experiences.